Fascinating Sleep Facts
Sleep is incredibly important and essential to our health and well-being. Lack of sleep can even lead to death. How much do you really know about sleep and the facts surrounding this essential part of our life? Below, you will discover some surprising facts about sleep that you may not know before now.
1. A giraffe doesn’t sleep much as it only needs 1.9 hours of sleep a day, whereas a brown bat needs 19.9 hours of sleep every day.
2. A Californian student named Randy Gardner in 1964 set the record for the longest period without sleep for 11 days.
3. Interestingly, some deaf people don’t talk, rather they use sign language even while sleeping.
4. Research suggests that you may likely experience sleep disruption in higher altitudes because of lower oxygen levels and changes in your respiration.
5. Dysania is the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning for the day’s activities after sleeping.
6. Study shows that cats spend about two-thirds of their life sleeping and they can sleep almost anywhere they find themselves.
7. More than 22% of Americans suffer from some kind of sleep disorder and most of them are chronic sleep disorders.
8. Interestingly, many researchers think that up to 15% of the American population are sleepwalkers.
9. Many people, especially young ones, experience the sensation of falling when half asleep and are called hypnic jerks.
10. About 40% of men and 24% of women snore while sleeping according to a study.
11. A survey shows that stress and anxiety are the major factors that make most people not sleep well.
12. According to NASA(The National Aeronautics And Space Administration), a perfect nap lasts for 26 minutes.
13. A study shows that one out of four married people doesn’t sleep in the same room, rather in separate rooms.
14. People tend to forget 90% of their dreams 5 minutes after waking up from sleep.
15. People who earn a big amount of money per month or week, tend to get the best sleep.
16. Rather than sight, it is amazing that those born blind dream more about things involving emotion, sound, and smell.
17. Lack of sleep for a long period will kill you faster than lack of food for the same period of time.
18. The fetal position(When you lie on your side and bring your knees up to your chest) is the most common position that most people stay in while sleeping.
19. Interestingly, according to research done by Professor Chris Idzikowski, 41% of the British population sleep in the fetal position.
Do you know that there’s a Hotel in Finland that employs individuals to work as a “Professional Sleeper”? Check out more 31 Weird Jobs Around the World.
20. Five other sleeping positions have been identified by sleep experts and they are the log, yearner, starfish, soldier, fetal, and freefall.
21. Our ability to tolerate pain decreases when we don’t get a good amount of sleep every day.
22. People that research sleep says that one’s sleeping position can also contribute to their personality.
23. People who wake up early in the morning are more likely to be successful in what they do.
24. Adults are more likely to suffer from diabetes or cancer if they don’t get 7 hours of sleep every day.
25. There are some people who dream in complete black and white, without any color, about 12% of people.
26. Interestingly, about 15% of people could dream in color before the invention of color television.
27. A person who does not lack sleep should sleep between 10-15 minutes after lying down, but those that are deprived of sleep doze off after 5 minutes.
28. There are about 100,000 car accidents caused by drivers who didn’t get enough sleep.
29. Study shows that some individuals can function normally, without being sleepy for as few as five or six hours of sleep.
30. In the 17th century, most people would wake up from sleep in the night for about an hour or two to socialize, be intimate, pray or read books.
31. Human beings are the only mammals that can delay their sleep willingly if they want.
32. You are more likely to get hungry if you don’t sleep because your leptin levels decrease.
33. When you dream while sleeping, you can only dream of faces you have seen.
34. Lack of sleep will weaken your immunity, thereby making you more vulnerable to colds and flu.
35. Research shows that one of the things that can hinder our sleep is internet access.
36. The fear or dread when you think of falling asleep is called somniphobia.
37. Some human beings can sleep with their eyes open.
38. According to WHO(World Health Organization), sleep disruptions due to shifts in the place of work can cause cancer.
39. Study shows that human beings spend about 6 years of their life dreaming.
40. Interestingly, sleep researchers have said that 40% of your learning ability can be altered if you study all through the night without sleeping for once.
41. If your body is too hot, you may not be able to sleep because your body needs to cool slightly before you can be able to do so.
Do you know that a Serbian man called Slavisa Pajkic can conduct up to 20 volts of through his body and can also heat up a cup of water up to about 97°? Check out more 33 Human with Surprising Supernatural Ability.