The Eastern Island Moai are amazing big-headed statues found on Easter Island in the Pacific Ocean.
You will be uncovering some uncommon and fascinating facts about the Eastern Island Moai that lots of people don’t know. Relax and get ready for surprises.
1. The statues are not allowed to be touched. One tourist who touched it was fined over $17,000.
2. The Rapa Nui carvers were the ones who built the Easter Island Moais.
3. The Moais are said to have been a short humanoid race.
4. The Moais had three digits for their hands and feet.
5. Most Easter Island Moai measures about 13 ft high.
6. The Easter Island Moais are said to have been blue-skinned.
7. The Moais were carved out of solidified volcanic ash of the RanoRaraku volcano.
8. The largest moai is the El Gigante which is about 72 ft tall.
9. The Moais are males.
10. The Easter Island Moai was named by Jacob Roggeveen.
11. They have a large nasal cavity and a large cranial space.
12. The Moais were carved out using basalt stone picks.
13. They are called the Easter Island Moai because they were discovered on Easter Sunday.
14. The Moais were discovered by a European explorer in 1722.
15. There are about 1,000 Moais on the island.
16. The Easter Island moai were the first in the Pacific Island to be registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
17. The Easter Island moai was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995.
18. The Easter Island Moais are not one of the 7 wonders of the world but they are the world’s number one wonder.
19. Almost all the statues face away from the ocean, some face upwards, others downwards.
20. The Easter Island Moais weigh about 14,000 kg each.
21. Some of the statues are said to put on hats known as pukao.
22. Some of the Easter Island Moais are named.
23. Easter Island is considered the world’s most secluded inhabited island.
24. It is believed that the Moais were moved for some kilometers. Although the way they were moved is unknown and still remains a mystery.
25. The Easter Island Moais do have bodies.
26. The stone platforms on which the moai sits are called the ahu.
27. Only seven Moais which are located at the Ahu Akivi face the ocean.
28. It is believed that the Moais have supernatural power which is harnessed for the benefit of humanity.
29. About 10 full moai statues have been transported to museums in other parts of the world.
30. The Easter Island Moais only had heads when they were first discovered and that is why they were called the Easter Island heads.
31. The height of these Ahus is around 200 meters.
32. The largest moai has an Ahu which is about 220 meters.
33. There is about 313 known Ahubut only about 125 of them carry a moai.
34. One of the moai’s ears had been stolen by a Finnish tourist.
35. The Easter Island Moais are also known as Moai of Rapa Nui.
36. The El Gigante weighs about 75 tons.
37. There is almost no internet on the Eastern Island.
38. Foreign tourist pays about $80 to go into the Rapa Nui National Park.
39. The locals stopped carving the Moais after a period of high deforestation.
40. The youngest moai was built around 1350.
41. Easter Island has about 5,000 inhabitants.
42. The nearest international airport to the Easter Island moai is the Mataveri International Airport.
43. The nearest habited land to the Eastern Island moai is Pitcairn Island.
44. There are no buses on Easter Island.
45. The first moai was built around 1400-1650 AD.
46. It is a crime to take seashells, rocks, etc. from the island.
47. Littering on the island is highly prohibited.
48. Make sure to always have cash on you when visiting the Island. This is because they have a hefty service charge for using ATM cards.
49. The Easter Island Moais belong to Chile.
50. The drug, rapamycin was first found in the soil of the Easter Islands.
51. The statues are more than 500 years old.