A dog is a Man’s best friend but how much do we really know about this our cool friend? Below, In this article, we have put together some uncommon dog facts that will wow you.
1. Dogs can learn up to 1,000 words.
2. Tail wagging is a good sign of a really happy and nice dog.
3. Within the first 16-20 weeks of birth, puppies grow up to half their body weight.
4. Puppies sleep close to 20 hours daily during their body growth phase.
5. The Grey Hound which is the fastest breed of dog can sprint up to 44 miles per hour.
6. There are over 400 million dogs in the world.
7. Just like humans, dogs do have dreams.
8. The heaviest breed of dogs which are known as the Mastiff weighs up to 200 pounds.
Do you know you can make money through Gossiping? CLICK HERE To Discover How
9. While adult dogs have 42 teeth, puppies have 28.
10. The shortest breed of dog is called a Chihuahua.
11. The tallest breed of dogs is called the Irish Wolfhounds and is about 30-35 inches tall.
12. The best time to bring a puppy home is between 6-12 weeks of birth.
13. When overheated or stressed out, a dog’s sense of smell is reduced by 40%.
14. Unlike humans who have over 9,000 taste buds, dogs have just 1,700 taste buds.
15. Research suggests that over 63.4 million households own a dog in the US.
16. Dogs often sweat through the pads of their feet.
17. In 1969, the first-ever dog to be inducted into the Animal Hall of Fame is called Lassie.
18. Petting a dog can help lower human blood pressure.
19. Just like their descendant’s Wolves, dogs like to move in packs.
20. The Basenjis are often referred to as Barkless dogs due to the unusual shape larynx that makes them produce an unstable sound.
21. Unlike humans, a dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger.
22. Dogs can be trained to detect diseases in humans.
23. Just like humans, dogs do get jealous.
24. The average body temperature of a dog is usually between 101-102.5 degrees.
25. Dogs are mentioned in the Holy Bible more than 30 times.
26. On average, 15 people die from dog bites in the US annually.
27. Obesity is the most common problem among dogs.
28. Over one million dogs in the US have been named as beneficiaries in their owner’s will.
29. Just like humans, dog nose prints are unique and can be used to identify them.
30. The heaviest breed of dog is called St. Bernard.
Continue reading to uncover more interesting dog facts.
31. Unlike humans, dogs don’t have appendices.
32. Just like humans, dogs do have prostrates.
33. Statistically, humans have been keeping dogs as far back as 12,000 years ago.
34. 58% of people put dogs in their family portrait.
35. The term “raining cats and dogs” was coined back in the 17th century in England. It was believed that a lot of cats and dogs died due to the heavy downpour during those periods.
36. Dogs can read humans facial expressions.
37. A vast majority of US Presidents have been dog owners.
38. Just like humans, adult dogs do have dementia.
39. There are over 703 breeds of purebred dogs in the world.
40. On average, a city dog lives three times longer than a country dog.
41. The famous Dalmatian dogs are born white and develop their spots over time.
42. Grapes can cause kidney failures in dogs.
43. The oldest dog in the world died at the age of 29.
44. Dogs are not color blind as people often claim. They can see yellow and blue.
45. A 15-year-old human is as matured as a year old dog.
46. The Afghan Hound is believed to be the dumbest dog in the world.
47. Smaller breeds of dogs mature faster than larger breeds.
48. Long toenails are one of the major causes of disorder in dogs.
49. Some dogs are very good swimmers. The Newfoundland dogs are very comfortable in the water and are been used as water rescue dogs
50. Dogs have up to 18 muscles responsible for controlling their ears.
51. Over 45% of dogs in America sleep on their owner’s bed.
52. Contrary to popular opinion, the Australian shepherd is actually from America, not Australia.
53. Dog noses are usually wet so that they can absorb scent Chemicals.
54. The tallest dog in the world is about 44 inches tall and is called Zeus.
55. The Grey Hound dog will defeat a cheetah in a long distance.
56. Over 30% of Dalmatian dogs are believed to be deaf in one ear.
57. The Saluki breed is believed to be one of the oldest breeds of dogs in the world. It dates back to 329BC.
58. The Chow-Chow and the Shar-peis are the only dogs in the world known to have black tongues.
59. Three out of twelve dogs on the famous titanic ship survived.
60. Gazing into a dog’s eyes releases a hormone called “Oxytocin” which is good for both the person and the dog.
61. According to research, dogs were domesticated between 9,000 and 34,000 years ago.
62. On average, a dog lives between 10-15 years on earth.