The human body is a mystery and a complex piece of engineering in which every part of the body plays a vital role for us to function properly. In this article, you will uncover some less-known human body facts that will blow your mind.
1. The human body burns more calories when they sleep than when they watch Television.
2. The brain contains about 100 billion nerve cells.
3. On average, an adult takes in over 20,000 breathe per day.
4. The human body is made up of over 100 trillion cells.
5. On average, an adult excretes about 1.42 liters of urine per day.
6. Due to the way cartilages compress during the day, humans are 8mm taller in the morning than in the night.
7. The human heart beats about 100,000 times a day.
8. The human body has more than 600 muscles.
9. The strongest and longest bone in the human body is the “Femur”.
10. Unlike your toenails, your fingernail grows four times faster.
11. The human body has between 2-5 million sweat glands that are why you tend to sweat more the more active you work out.
12. The human skull is made up of over 29 different bones.
13. On average, right-handed people live longer by 9 years more than left-handed people.
14. Unlike other body parts, the cornea doesn’t receive blood supply but receives oxygen directly from the air. The cornea is responsible for how light enters the eyes.
15. The human brain has a storage capacity of more than four terabytes.
16. The human stomach turns red when they blush.
17. Over 700 enzymes are active in the human body.
18. Humans with blue eyes are more sensitive to pain than others.
19. The tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
20. The right lung can take in more air than the left.
21. Over 40,000 bacteria can be found in a human’s mouth.
22. Sperm cells are the smallest in a man’s body.
23. On average, human beings have over 2,000 taste buds.
24. The human eyes have the ability to decipher over 10 million different colors.
25. 43 muscles are used when you frown but only 17 muscles are in use when you smile.
26. Most people lose half of their taste buds at the age of 60.
27. The rate at which nerve cells receive signals from the brain is around 274km/h.
28. You lose up to 150 calories per hour when you hit your head on the wall.
29. Over a 100,000 chemical reaction occurs in the human brain per second.
30. The surface area of a tennis court is equal to that of the human lungs.
31. The chemical that causes humans to be ecstatic (phenylethylamine) can also be found in chocolates.
32. More than 50% of an adult’s average body weight is made up of water.
33. Humans approximately says 4,800 words in 24hours. On average that’s 200 words per hour.
34. According to research, people stand a high chance of having heart attacks on Mondays than any other day of the week.
35. Human bones are 5 times stronger than steel.
36. You can’t sneeze with your eyes opened.
37. Lack of sleep kills people faster than hunger.
38. While the human eyes remain the same from birth, the ears and nose don’t stop growing.
39. Research suggests children grow faster in the spring than in any other season.
40. Unlike Red Blood cells that live in the human body for 12-16 weeks, White blood only lives for 2-4 days.
Do you know that psychology suggests that people tend to look up and their left side when they are lying? Click to Uncover more Shocking psychology facts and research.
More Uncommon Human Body Facts
41. Despite the human brain weighing just 1.5kg in the body, it uses up to 20% of its energy more than any other organ in the body.
42. The largest organ in the human body is the skin.
43. An eyelash lives up to five months before falling off.
44. The smallest bone in the human body is called the Stirrup. It’s found in the middle of the ear and it’s 2.8mm long.
45. Despite having unique fingerprints, humans also have unique tongue prints.
46. The fats in the human body can make up to seven bars of soap.
47. The small intestine in a human body is approximately 23 feet long.
48. The human feet make up ¼ (one-quarter) of their bones.
49. In photography terms, the human eyes are up to 567 million megapixels
50. An average adult weighs about 3-4kgs.
51. One human hair can weigh up to 3.5 ounces.
52. The acid (Hydrochloric) in the human stomach is capable of melting a razor blade.
53. The clock speed of a cough is around 60mph.
54. The human nose can remember up to 50,000 scents.
55. Every human has a unique smell except identical twins.
56. At the age of 60, 40% of women and 60% of men will snore.
57. Statistically, over 90% of human diseases are caused by stress.
58. Within 365 days, the human heart pumps enough blood to fill an Olympic size pool.
59. The only muscle that doesn’t wear out in the body is the heart.
60. Per minute the body sheds over 30,000 dead skin cells.
61. On average, most human beings spend almost a year sitting down on the toilet seat.
62. Infants are born with an estimated 300 bones but as they grow older it reduces to 206 bones.
63. Human teeth are stronger than sharks teeth.
64. Your brain can generate enough electricity to power a small light bulb.
65. A part of your teeth is the hardest part of your whole body.
66. The human hair is where most information about a human is stored. Contents of your blood like alcohol, drug, and vitamins can be found by testing your hair.
67. Humans can create up to 7000 facial expressions.
68. The human skeleton rebuilds itself every 10 years.
69. Your eyes are closed 10% of the time you are not sleeping.
70. Your kidney filters all your blood about 25 times daily.
71. The liver can full regrowth to its original size even after cutting 70% of the whole organ.
72. Your heartbeat matches the rhythm of the music you are listening to.
73. The same enzymes that help digest the food we eat, also start the decay of our body when we die.
74. Some atoms in our body are billions of years old.
75. The carbon the human body has can be used to make 9000 led pencils.
76. The human body contains gold. Its quantity is about 2.3 milligrams. You will need the blood of 40000 people to make 1 gram of coins.
77. Humans lose half a liter of water from breathing daily.
78. Most pregnant women mostly dream about frogs and worms, 3 months into their pregnancy.
79. Newborn babies see everything upside down, as their eyes have not started inverting images.
80. Babies are born without kneeling caps.
81. 70% of the human brain is made up of water.
82. Human DNA contains 100,000 viruses.
83. Seicents discovered 1 virus in humans that date back 1 million years ago. Read more here
Do you know that Dynamites are shockingly made from Peanuts? Click to discover more Surprising Facts about the foods we eat.