Lots of drama go down in every English Premier League season. Records are created and broken, with some offset. We will be digging deep in this article to uncover some fascinating facts and stories about Manchester united FC like the “fastest goal of Man U was scored by Ryan Giggs in 15 seconds”
Relax and read each fact carefully, because you will certainly discover some jaw-dropping Manchester united FC facts you can use to banter with your friends.
Note: date-based facts are correct as of 2023.
1. Wayne Rooney is the leading scorer in Manchester United with a total of 253 goals in 559 appearances.
2. Edwin van Der Ser is the oldest Manchester player to appear in a match (2011) when he was 40.
3. Manchester united was the first English club to have won the Treble in 1999.
4. The survey carried out in 2011 revealed that one-tenth of the world is a fan of Manchester United.
5. The club’s nickname was original ‘The Heathens’ but was changed to ‘The Red Devils’ by Sir Matt Busby.
6. The average age of Manchester United players to play in the league was 21 which made them the youngest side to ever win a football league.
7. TeamViewer is the largest sponsor of Man U.
Do you know you can make money through Gossiping? CLICK HERE To Discover How
8. Manchester united became the club’s world champions by beating the Palmeiras.
9. Manchester united signed Carlo Sartori as the first non-English player.
10. Jaap Stam was the first Manchester United player to be transferred for a fee above £10 million.
11. Cristiano Ronaldo was sold to Real Madrid from Manchester United for £80 million pounds in 2009.
12. In the year 2007, the highest attendance was recorded in Old Trafford with about 76, 098 persons present.
13. With an estimated revenue of £518 million, Manchester united was the 2nd highest-earning club between the years 2013 and 2014.
14. Manchester united was named as the third most valuable football club in 2015.
15. In 1960, Manchester united player Dennis Violet set a new record with 32 league goals in a season.
16. Jose Mourinho was appointed manager in 2016/2017 for a three-year contract.
17. Manchester united had a plane crash in Munich in 1958 which led to the death of eight players and three members of the staff.
18. The fastest goal of Man U was scored by Ryan Giggs in 15 seconds against Southampton.
19. From the year 1902 to 1940, Man U used the emblem of his hometown as a logo.
20. Louis van Gaal is the first Dutch manager to be appointed by the club in May 2014, while Erik ten Hag became the second in May 2021.
21. In 1910, the Man U moved their home ground from Newton Heathen to its new stadium in Old Trafford.
22. Man U player Shinji Kagawa became the first Asian player to score three goals in an English Premier League game, he also won a hat-trick.
23. Manchester united was first founded as Newton Heath LYR football club by the works team of Lancashire and Yorkshire railway depot in 1878.
24. It split from the railway company in 1892 and became privately owned for over 100 years.
25. David Gaskell was 16 years and 19 days when he played at the club’s first-team appearance. He is also the youngest person to have played for Man U.
26. Cristiano Ronaldo was the all-time highest-paid player in Manchester united with an annual wage of £23, 400, 400 as of 2022.
27. The most successful and longest-serving manager at Manchester united is Sir Alex Ferguson, his reign lasted for 26 years.
28. The Man U signed Rio Ferdinand to play as a defender with the sum of 40 million pounds which made him Britain’s most expensive footballer then.
29. Sir Matt Busby was a Manchester City and Liverpool player before he joined the Red devils.
30. During the process of choosing a new name for Newton Heath, the board of directors voted for Manchester united, but the second most voted name was Manchester Central.
31. Newton Heath was not among the founding fathers when the club was formed in 1888.
32. Denis Law has the most hat-trick in Manchester United history with a total of 18 goals from 1962 to 1971.
33. Manchester United’s first FA cup was won in 1909.
34. Manchester United won the first league for a stretch from 1955 to 1957
35. Other sponsors of Man U include Adidas, Chevrolet, Kohler, and Aeroflot among others.
36. Manchester United won the FA cup, the premier league, and the UEFA Champions League simultaneously from 1988-1999.
37. An American businessman, Malcolm Glazer bought enough shares to become the new owner of Manchester United.
38. Manchester United has been using the same logo since 1988 till date.
39. Manchester United has red, Cavendish yellow, and black as their color code.
40. The symbol of the devil at the bottom of the club’s logo is a reflection of their nickname.
41. The ship at the top of the club’s current logo is a symbol of urban trade.
42. It won the Manchester senior cup in 1888.
43. Manchester United has won the UEFA Champions League three times.
44. One of the most promising youth prospects of United in Ferguson’s early years was someone called Russel Beardsmore who in his start in 1989, scored one goal, and made two assists for Brian McClair and Mark Hughes.
45. For the inaugural season of the Premiership in 1993, which saw United crowned as champions, miniature replicas of the Premiership trophy itself were handed out to the players instead of a medal.
46. In winning the UEFA Europe League under José Mourinho in 2016/17, they became one of five clubs to have won the original three main UEFA club competitions: the Champions League, Europe League, and Cup Winners’ Cup.
47. Manchester United has won 20 League titles, 12 FA Cups, five League Cups, and 21 FA Community Shields.
48 Manchester United won the UEFA Europa League, the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup, the UEFA Super Cup, the Intercontinental Cup, and the FIFA Club World Cup once each.
49. On 24 April 1902, Manchester United was officially born under Ernest Mangnall, who assumed managerial duties in 1903.
50. Manchester United had its first competition against Blackburn Olympic Reserves in 1883.
51. En route to the semi-final, which they lost to Real Madrid, the team recorded a 10–0 victory over Belgian champions Anderlecht, which remains the club’s biggest victory on record.
Hope you enjoyed these interesting Manchester United FC facts. Please leave a comment below and share if you like the content. Check out 60 Interesting Uncommon Football Facts